Construction and tr...

Share:

Construction and transportation surveying opportunities in Texas  

RSS

SurveySean
(@surveysean)
FNG Member
November 18, 2018 4:51 pm  
  • Hello all. This question is geared to those who live and work in Texas.  Looking into the possibility of land surveying jobs in the state of Texas in the future.  Lifetime new England resident,  CT.. I would like to know how different surveying is down there as compared to up here, climate differences,  economy, job security etc. Basically an overall picture. My background is in civil construction mostly highway and infrastructure,  and some boundary, GPS planning and also Cad drafting. I would consider myself mid career . Not CT licensed but have over 14 years in the field,  half of which as a party chief. The economics of the state I live in seem really bleak. I am looking down the road for other more promising and viable options. I realize this may be a broad question but , I appreciate any input from members of the community. 

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
November 19, 2018 11:21 am  

There are many opportunities any eager surveyor would welcome.

If you are serious about moving to Texas I would enjoy a conversation.

harrissurv at yahoo

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
Andy Nold
(@andy-nold)
1,000+ posts Member
December 5, 2018 11:43 am  

http://www.transgloballlc.com/careers.html

Cost of living is probably higher, not sure what paygrade you're at but there is good money in surveying here http://www.becomeatexassurveyor.com/students/  (The salary survey referenced is from 2009 and from what I have seen it has definitely gone up). Warmer winters but warmer summers. West Texas is GPS heaven with minimal trees. Lots of work in the oil and gas area as well as most of the big cities are booming right now too. I think the title is a little easier to trace since you don't usually have deeds from before the 19th century. 

“A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man!” - Jebediah Springfield

ReplyQuote
Stiets
(@stiets)
5+ posts Member
January 2, 2019 10:03 am  
Posted by: SurveySean
  •  Lifetime new England resident,  CT......... The economics of the state I live in seem really bleak. I am looking down the road for other more promising and viable options. I realize this may be a broad question but , I appreciate any input from members of the community. 

I am also a resident of CT, unfortunately,  and completely agree with you.  Get out when you can!!! Things are going to get worse here before they get better if it does.   I wish I could bail also but because of family I am stuck here for at least 5 more years.  Hope everything works for out for you in your move.  I hear good things about TX. Safe travels. ~Sam  

ReplyQuote
BStrand
(@bstrand)
100+ posts Member
February 21, 2019 7:51 am  

Texas is certainly intriguing.  My sister lives in the Dallas area and has been bugging me to move there for years.  I think I'd enjoy the scenery but man that heat has gotta be brutal...

ReplyQuote
Lee D
(@lee-d)
1,000+ posts Member
February 21, 2019 9:09 am  

Texas is a big place, the climate varies depending on where you go. Houston and Beaumont have mild winters but it gets brutally hot in the summer. The cost of living also varies quite a bit; you'd need to drill down on individual areas to determine what suits you best.

I know when I say "Texas is a big place" a lot of people's reaction will be "no s*** Captain Obvious", but the reality hits you when you drive across it on I-10. Not long after you cross in from Louisiana there's a sign that says El Paso 860.

ReplyQuote

Take the next step in your career, pass your licensure exam with PPI2Pass

John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
2,500+ posts Member
February 21, 2019 3:59 pm  

It is a BIG state. I had a project recently where I started in El Paso and wound up 4 days (and 3500+ miles) later in Austin, pretty much went to all corners of the state doing photo control for a bunch of military sites. Easy drives, though. Way too hot for me in the summer, my wife is always bugging me to move there, no way. Maybe a winter residence in the future. 

John Hamilton
It's been my fate from birth...to make my mark upon the earth.

ReplyQuote
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
February 21, 2019 4:13 pm  

My wife grew up at around the 10° or less latitudes and when she arrived in Texas she was not certain whether she had moved closer to hell or the north pole because it was either too hot or too cold.

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
2,500+ posts Member
February 21, 2019 5:41 pm  

More like 6 days, but it was still a lot of driving

John Hamilton
It's been my fate from birth...to make my mark upon the earth.

ReplyQuote
Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts Member
February 21, 2019 7:18 pm  
Posted by: Lee D

Texas is a big place,

I had relatives who would winter in south Texas.  They said when they left Iowa and got to the Texas border, they were halfway there.

ReplyQuote
Monte
(@monte)
500+ posts Member
February 22, 2019 8:11 am  

Many replies here, and yes, it is a big place, that does get hot, and cold, sometimes in the same day.  As for surveying, Texas is a bit different from other states, not being on the PLS system of things.  Texas still has a working General Land Office, much of the state is made up of school lands and railroad blocks.  Surveying in east Texas has different problems than surveying in far west Texas, or in the panhandle.  In the Midland Odessa area, there is lots of oil/gas related surveying going on.  In the cities, there is lots of development going on, meaning construction and engineering surveys.  In many places, the housing market is doing ok, so there are mortgage surveys needing to be done.  Texas also has its share of large acreage properties needing surveyed.   Paychecks will be differ depending on where you want to settle.  Bigger cities typically can pay better than smaller towns.  Cost of living is usually higher in those places, tho.  Send me a PM if you want to visit.  I work out of an office in Abilene, and survey from the panhandle down to Del Rio and west.

If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here...

ReplyQuote