Community Forums

Community Forums

A chance to work with me!  

Page 2 / 2

flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts

man, that's right up my alley in so many ways.  except for one... high school sophomore who would likely break right in two if i uprooted her from the one house she's always known and all the friends she's ever had.

thanks, dave- now i'm gonna find myself daydreaming way too much about weekend trail runs in the sierras and bike trips in downieville...

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

I'm in the beginning of my 20th year working for the State of California (6 years at a local City and 10 years at a Private Firm before that).

I started my first State job at the Department of Parks and Recreation in mid-December 2000.  My first desk was literally the leftover gap in the cubicles.  They brought the standard cubicles from the east and another set from the west and my desk was the leftover gap in between them.  Sort of like having Junior Rights.  I had 6 or 7 feet of width.

We left that office for Class A office space at One Capitol Mall after a couple of months.  I transferred here (Cal Fire) in March 2009.

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts
Posted by: @dave-karoly

I transferred here (Cal Fire) in March 2009.

I would have guessed more like 3 years at CalFire.  How time flies!  And you're a lot more stable than I thought -- I had you Karoly boys down a inveterate job-switchers.  Your brother Michael sure seems to be one; I've lost track of the number of outfits he's been with.

StLSurveyor
Supporter
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts

Sounds like it would be a great job! Beautiful Country, I can't imagine how great it must be to live in that part of our Country. 

2 Replies
Bill93
(@bill93)

5,000+ posts
Posted by: @stlsurveyor

Sounds like it would be a great job! Beautiful Country, I can't imagine how great it must be to live in that part of our Country. 

Working with Dave and a lot of the scenery would be great.

The fires and mudslides not so much.  Laws out there a lot more restrictive and bureacratic than you and I are used to. The price of his house would buy maybe 3 similar ones here.

Think I'll stay here.

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)

10,000+ posts

@bill93

I follow a Facebook page called "For the Love of Old Houses" because I like old houses.  I have an old house; I can't stand when people gut them and make them all brand new inside, no character.  I see these places on big lots in some of the midwest towns, amazing, beautiful woodwork, big house, grand staircase, just beautiful, especially the ones that haven't been "HGTVed" (walls taken out, everything gray and white or bright white, overdone kitchen, all woodwork painted).  The prices are very tempting, I could retire in a cheap family home.  Not sure about the weather, though.  And my retirement health care options are much better in California.

Page 2 / 2
:cry:
:shutmouth:
:envy:
:silly:
:chuckle:
:whew:
:beg:
:hmm:
:idea:
:?:
:!: