Share:
Notifications
Clear all

A chance to work with me!  

Page 1 / 2

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

We are hiring 3 positions.  Two Transportation Surveyors, Range C or D (LSIT or LS required respectively) to work on a field crew under the supervision of a Party Chief.  Requires being on the the Eligibility List or lateral transfer eligibility or reinstatement rights.  We work in the field about 50% of the time (usually 4 days of travel).  State pays lodging and meal reimbursement when on travel status.  We also get assigned to emergency incident investigations up to several times of the year, this can mean multiple weeks away from home with little warning but typically we can get what they need within a few days.

The best part of this job is there is a lot of variety, boundary, forest boundary, terrestrial Lidar scanning, topography for fire stations and air attack bases, never a dull moment.  It's a lot like working for a small time LS firm with the advantage of the stability of the government.  And this is the Fire Department which everyone loves Fire people.  We have to turn down free meals (not allowed to accept gifts).

The 3rd position is a 2 year limited term office LS or LSIT to assist management with all sorts of Surveying type tasks such as research and helping with mapping.

https://jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=186250

12 Replies
Andy Nold
Supporter
(@andy-nold)
1,000+ posts

I'd love to work in the field with you for a day, but I'd probably jeopardize my job and piss off my boss if I spent much more than that.

Ric moore
(@ric-moore)
250+ posts

From what I've heard it would be a cool experience working in some very nice areas of California!  If any of you are interested, contact Dave and he'll tell you what you would need to know.

xyHt Magazine -- Still absolutely free!

Andy J
(@andy-j)
2,500+ posts

do we get to wear those cool yellow Nomex shirts?? 

1 Reply
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)

10,000+ posts

@andy-j

The department issues pants, jacket, helmet, shroud, goggles, gloves, web gear (backpack thing with water bladder and fire shelter) in a red go bag. You provide boots. Mostly I use the pants and jacket to keep all the black stuff off of my clothes. By the time we get there typically the fire is miles away or out.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

Is it really uphill more than half the time?  This flatlander would not be able to keep up, even for a single day.

1 Reply
Bill93
(@bill93)

5,000+ posts
Posted by: @holy-cow

Is it really uphill more than half the time?

Well, logically, you usually go slower up the hill than down.  If it is the same distance both ways, then of course it is uphill more than half the time.

Page 1 / 2
Scroll to Top