Share:
Notifications

Study tips for Oklahoma?  

Page 1 / 2

BAD
 BAD
(@bad)
5+ posts

I will be taking the Oklahoma state specific exam soon, and I just started studying. So far I am reading the Lost and Obliterated corner readup, state standards, and corner record instructions.

Although I am not sure what to expect on the test. Like will I have to calculate single and double proportioned corners, or fill out sections of a corner record? And are there any subjects I should focus on over the others?

Thanks

12 Replies
itsme_rankin
(@itsme_rankin)
20+ posts

Well- the combination scale factor is 1.0 ....  /snarky off

paden cash
Supporter
(@paden-cash)
5,000+ posts

It's been years since I took the Oklahoma exam.  My suggestion would be to contact the Oklahoma Society of Land Surveyors (OSLS) concerning study material.  Over the years they've always kept abreast of the needs of prospectives.  

try osls@osls.org

good luck!

murphy94
(@murphy94)
FNG

I'm working on applying for licensure myself in OK. Only completed my FS so far, finishing up my years of experience.

What I've heard from my LS's, is that the OK test was one large problem of a section break down. The sort where each question builds upon the answer from the last, and mistakes are liable to compound as you continue. That's been a few years though, and I'm not sure how it's graded anyway. From what I understand, there is also a separate state requirements exam mailed to you as well, but it's open book.

As Cash said, OSLS is a very helpful resource, I'm sure they could point you in the correct direction! Also, they were supposedly putting together an exam prep course for an upcoming convention (or maybe it was going to be a separate ordeal... I can't remember.)

-Murphy

Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts
Posted by: @itsme_rankin

Well- the combination scale factor is 1.0 ....  /snarky off

Well it should be. Most of Oklahoma is above 3000'. Part of it is over 5000'

Posted by: @bad

..will I have to calculate single and double proportioned corners...?

In 2011 we sure did. That was 75% of the test. But none of the questions required dealing with cardinal equivalents.  Much of the rest had to do with when a CCR is required.  A word to the wise - if things don't seem to be working out ask yourself if the point is on a township line. 

1 Reply
BAD
 BAD
(@bad)

5+ posts

@mark-mayer

Do they specify there is no cardinal equiv required? Kinda bizarre because Im pretty sure the BLM manual states it must be done that way

And thanks for the tip, I almost had an FNG moment a couple times to get more corners so I can double proportion a corner... before I saw the section number -___-

Page 1 / 2
Scroll to Top