Community Forums

Share:

State Continuing Education Requirements for License Renewal  

Page 1 / 3

Gene Kooper
(@gene-kooper)
500+ posts

Am asking surveyors in states nearby to Colorado if they would chime in with their state's continuing ed requirements.  I would appreciate any info on the number of hours mandated per renewal period, the verification/audit process, whether the continuing education must be approved by the licensing board, specific classes like ethics that are mandatory, and cites to the statutes and board rules.

I'm trying to find out what other states currently require.  Last year a bill was introduced here mandating continuing ed.  It was a very short bill that only specified that the continuing ed be approved by the state board, but no specifics on the number of hours, required CE courses, or whether the Board would approve all courses, or just promulgate general rules that the continuing education must meet to be "approved by the board".

The PLSC did state in their 2017 application to the Dept. of Regulatory Agencies that they would like to see an ethics course requirement and that the number of CE credits be a minimum of 30 contact hours (maybe that many hours is deemed necessary to catch up with our peers in other states).  The bill was summarily killed by the Republican controlled Senate who were rather interested in following Nebraska with legislation to reduce regulatory mandates.  BTW...has that impacted the CE requirement in Nebraska or is something planned to reduce or eliminate it based on the "deregulation" bill?

Just a preliminary heads up for those in other states that also are licensed in Colorado.  You might find it necessary to come visit us to get your CE hours if any new bill has similar language.  The Legislative Session starts next week, so a quick look at the Colorado General Assembly's web site will see if another attempt will be made to, "get us to be like all those around us".  😀 

12 Replies
1 Reply
Jim in AZ
(@jamesf1)

100+ posts

Gene,

Arizona has no requirement for CE's. The Board is no longer in the business of protecting the public, as they were when I obtained my license decades ago. All they seem to be interested in is collecting money for the State. The level of competency of licensee's is of little if any interest to them.

Jim

Jon Collins
(@jon-collins)
250+ posts

ND SD NE are all 30 hours per biennium, none have mandated curriculum type. SD audits are random about 2 to 4 PLS per meeting, not many. I am not sure about ND audits. This year NE started auditing 25% each year, and yes I got to be one of them.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

Kansas is still a bit odd.  30 hours per biennial renewal.  A 2 hour requirement for state minimum standards review is the only required topic so far as I recall.  There is no pre-approval of courses or instructors to the best of my knowledge.  Some percentage are to be audited at each renewal.  Certain activities that are not classes can count towards the hours.  Teaching a course, I believe may count.  Taking a college class counts big time.   You do what you assume will be counted in an audit and maintain records and proof of attendance to submit if selected for an audit.

Those with two licenses, such as engineer and land surveyor, need a total of 40 hours per biennial renewal.

Rich Leu
(@rich-leu)
500+ posts

In 1979, Iowa became the first state in the country to implement mandatory continuing education for professional engineers and land surveyors.

Currently, Iowa’s biennial requirement is 30 hours. For dual licensees (engineering and land surveying) the biennial requirement is 20 hours in each discipline. At least 2 of the 30 hours must be in the area of professional ethics. There is no pre-approval but there is a very general list of allowable activities and a list of specific exclusions. 15 hours may be carried over from the previous biennium. The licensee is responsible for maintaining adequate records to support the professional development hours claimed and must provide those records if audited.

The specifics can be found in the Iowa Administrative Code, Section 193C, Chapter 7.

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

CA doesn't share a boundary with CO, but for what it's worth we remain mercifully free of a CE requirement.

1 Reply
Shelby H. Griggs PLS
(@shelby-h-griggs-pls)

500+ posts
Posted by: Jim Frame

CA doesn't share a boundary with CO, but for what it's worth we remain mercifully free of a CE requirement.

This has always surprised me as IMO CA has more red tape and regulations than any other state on the west coast, maybe the entire country! I am licensed there and four other states, the other four all require PDH's, but thankfully all about same rules so I get my 30 hours every two years and no issues to date. The instant each state starts mandating their own agenda with in-state acquisition required will be the day out of state licensees will start retiring all but one license! I do actually use all of my licensees at least once every couple years, working for a mapping company where we can have a plane overhead in any one of those states within an hour or so means I get to travel for the ground control quite a bit.

SHG

Page 1 / 3