Community Forums

Share:

NY State specific  

Page 1 / 3

Steven Metelski
(@steven-metelsky)
100+ posts

I am currently licensed in NJ. I would like to apply for a license in ny. Has anyone here taken the exam in the past two years? I'm looking for a study guide that does not involve hundreds of dollars and driving to a two day seminar. It sounds snobby, but my time is budgeted to the minute for the foreseeable future. I can study at home at night. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

13 Replies
2 Replies
 JPH
(@jph)

500+ posts

Have you applied to take the exam yet?  I think it took over a year for the approval process.  So you'll probably have plenty of time to study.

Steven Metelski
(@steven-metelsky)

100+ posts
Posted by: JPH

Have you applied to take the exam yet?  I think it took over a year for the approval process.  So you'll probably have plenty of time to study.

I'm going to try and get my app in before the November deadline so I can test in 2019.

leegreen
(@leegreen)
1,000+ posts

Yes,

It is unlike any exam you have ever taken. Open book, but you'd never be able to bring enough books. Blacks law is most useful. The time limit is just two hours, so not much time for books anyway. Dr. Joseph Paiva along with NYSAPLS has created a review course and a binder folder he compiled of books as suggested reference material. If you time constrained then you may be better off buying the binder than attending the class, as all he does is read it out loud. To be honest not really much of the folder was applicable to my exam. It appears they may have written the exam around his course, making his material not as useful. I know a lot of people taking the exam 2, 3, 5 times.

lsitnj
(@lsitnj)
100+ posts

As Lee suggested: Blacks Law and Definition of surveying terms --you basically must have these two  books with you at the time of taking the exam. Dr. Paiva's binder will give you general idea of what to expect on the exam. I found the information contained in the binder useful.

If you are familiar with what's in it and where to look for stuff, you might be lucky and find the answers quickly. As Lee said, not much time for books. I had to take the exam twice..missed it by 1 question..English is not my 1st language. You'll be fine. Good luck. 

Sergeant Schultz
(@sergeant-schultz)
500+ posts
Posted by: leegreen

............I know a lot of people taking the exam 2, 3, 5 times.

I submit that if you have to take it 3 times, or gods forbid, 5, maybe you're not equipped to be stampin' drawings...

(@p_bob)
20+ posts

I took it 8 years ago, but I will give credit to Dr. Paiva's review course through NYSAPLS was what helped me pass it.  The binder had alot of useful information in it and I used it for many questions.  Blacks Law and Browns was also my go to during the exam.  He gave alot of useful tips on how to prepare.  But this was 8 years ago and one of his first years teaching the review.  I will tell you, whatever books/materials you take in, make sure you've read them and know where information is.  There is definitely not enough time to search through books looking for answers, you need to have a good idea where it is located.

Page 1 / 3