Community Forums

Share:

MD Storm Drain Exam  

Page 1 / 2

ARMichael
(@armichael)
20+ posts

Any Marylanders here have any clue what the SD exam even covers nowadays? I took the ME-III (Storm Drain) course at CCBC in 2013, which was supposed to directly prepare you for the exam. Now I hear rumors that there are ESD design computational questions (which is fine, I have time to study). But I can’t find a pdf of these SHA pipe nomographs anywhere anymore. Are these available anywhere? I don’t know how I can’t find one anywhere, they have been erased from history apparently and that’s a feat for a web search! Thanks for any help

14 Replies
James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts

There is a prep class on Saturday at the fall MSS Conference in October

https://www.marylandsurveyor.org/page/2019FallProgram

2 Replies
ARMichael
(@armichael)

20+ posts

@james-fleming

Yes I did see that, thankfully. The problem is there is a test coming up in September and I want my license NOW 😁 so I figure I can give it a shot. If I fail, well that’s good practice. Take the prep course, go in both guns blazing next exam. Might even look into VA license before I forget everything I’ve been studying lately

StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)

1,000+ posts

@james-fleming

Wow, I just want to say that looks like a great conference schedule! There are a huge variety of topics covered. You might actually leave smarter!

James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts
Posted by: @armichael

Might even look into VA license before I forget everything I’ve been studying lately

Not a bad plan.

I spread mine out -  so after every test I told myself that was the last one and drank the hydrology out of my brain, then had to go back and put it back in again.  Every test is different, but it is possible to pass the Virginia state exam while still "punting" on the drainage questions and picking "C".  Just sayin' 😉 

StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts

Just a complete outsider observance....Since nearly every LS in the DelMarVa area does nearly zero drainage work why is it still on the exam? It seems every time these questions are posted here the answers are all the same. Cram and purge - you'll never use it again...Unfortunately, though there is a real chance I will have to join this camp of cram and purge, but it all just seems like a waste.

James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts
Posted by: @stlsurveyor

Just a complete outsider observance....Since nearly every LS in the DelMarVa area does nearly zero drainage work why is it still on the exam? It seems every time these questions are posted here the answers are all the same. Cram and purge - you'll never use it again...Unfortunately, though there is a real chance I will have to join this camp of cram and purge, but it all just seems like a waste.

A lot of small and rural shops in the land development arena will do some of the storm drain work on a small scale.  On site stormwater BMP design for impervious runoff and ESC plans on single family home site plans, small subdivision, drive culvert computations, etc..

I will say that the requirement to learn it has taught me what I need to know too produce a good product as a base for engineering design and helped me to understand the requirements that the engineers need.  

Page 1 / 2
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: