Community Forums

Share:

Mandatory Continuing Education Bill (HB19-1040) Introduced in the 2019 Colorado Legislative Session  

Page 2 / 4

Gene Kooper
(@gene-kooper)
500+ posts

I've stated numerous times that it is incumbent upon a licensed professional to understand their life-time commitment to education.  The attached article was written by Sandra Scanlon a past chair of the State Board of Licensure for Architects, Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors.  It appeared in the 2009 Board Newsletter.  I have always supported continuing education for surveyors.  I just don't want it to be a regulatory mandate.  I know my position is at odds with many here.

1 Reply
Duane Frymire
(@duane-frymire)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: Gene Kooper

I've stated numerous times that it is incumbent upon a licensed professional to understand their life-time commitment to education.  The attached article was written by Sandra Scanlon a past chair of the State Board of Licensure for Architects, Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors.  It appeared in the 2009 Board Newsletter.  I have always supported continuing education for surveyors.  I just don't want it to be a regulatory mandate.  I know my position is at odds with many here.

Base on my experience in NY, one of the biggest problems you're looking at is that architects and engineers decide what qualifies as CE for surveyors.  Surveyors are usually a minority on these mixed boards, and nothing can be approved without a majority vote.  Many times the minority surveyors are dual licensed as PE's.  It's not in the best interest of some others to have a bunch of business savvy surveyors running around that might charge more for their services; so business courses, no CE credit.  Anywhere services might overlap, like erosion/sediment control, no CE credit.  On the other hand, folks other than surveyors get CE credit for just about anything.  Granted engineering is a larger umbrella, but still seems like CE is being used partly to curtail the scope of practice of surveyors rather than expand it or enhance it.

Have to keep the above in mind when reading some of the comments.  I think Texas has it's own board made up entirely of surveyors. 

Tommy Young
(@tommy-young)
1,000+ posts

Fight this bill.  If you don't, your board stands the course of going the route of Florida, where the board has micromanaged continuing education to the point that you cannot get credit for any course unless the course provider has become a licensed provider, and the course has been approved in advance.  For example, I attended a course in Kentucky Gary Kent gave on the 2016  ALTA standards.  Two weeks later he gave the exact same course in Florida, and I have an email from him stating such.  Because the Kentucky Association of Professional Surveyors was not a licensed provider, but the organization that brought Kent to Florida was, I could not get credit for the course.  In Florida the continuing education requirements have nothing to do with educating surveyors, and everything to do with extorting money from the profession.  Someone from Auburn University told me that they did not have the manpower, or the budget to get their continuing education approved by the Florida board.

Support this scourge of the profession at your own peril.

/rant

1 Reply
bpdouglass
(@bpdouglass)

FNG

Outstanding insights from Florida... tempting to suggest partisan "leadership" hijacking legislation and leveraging of such opportunities, but I'd just as quickly back away knowing such admissions of bias could distract (and anger). I'll say this: my work suggests such failures don't belong to law so much as those who helped (or didn't) get it in. It's incumbent on the people to hold governance accountable. That's my plan in Colorado. 

Gene Kooper
(@gene-kooper)
500+ posts

Tommy,

I was the sole person to testify against this bill last year in two committee hearings.  The bill was killed by the Republican leadership in the Senate.  They lost their majority in the Senate this year so it may pass with both Legislative houses and the Governorship being in Democratic control.  Just because you and I are a little cantankerous at times, I'll share this with you.  The audio of those hearings are still available to anyone that knows where to find them!  Just in case anyone wants to hear why I was against it and others were for it.  The bill sponsors made a big point in their introductions that the rapidly changing technology is a major reason to mandate CE because surveyors need to keep up with the latest millimeter measuring equipment and the emerging disciplines of GPS, drones, and scanners.

I will likely testify again this year just so I can say HI to some of my old buddies in the PLSC that will be there to support the bill.

On the plus side, I may finally end up with an excellent reason to maintain my CFedS appointment because the 6 CEUs required every two years to keep an active status is more than the 30 contact hours that the PLSC said they wanted in their application to DORA a year ago.  My two renewal dates are only 2 months apart.  I cannot see how the licensing board would ever turn down my CFedS CEUs that are taught by BLM employees.  Besides, the PLSC has had a CFedS course at their last two conferences and another one next month!

Thanks for your input, Tommy.

2 Replies
Tommy Young
(@tommy-young)

1,000+ posts

Gene, I would argue that a surveyor involved with scanners and drones will get educated on them, else he/she will find themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit.

Gene Kooper
(@gene-kooper)

500+ posts
Posted by: Tommy Young

Gene, I would argue that a surveyor involved with scanners and drones will get educated on them, else he/she will find themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit.

Also the high costs of scanners, drones and their related software means that the PLS (or their field crew) need to be sufficiently proficient in their use to be productive and profitable with that fancy new technology.

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

Texas has been requiring CEUS for over two decades and iwhat more can more bring the official words to more surveyors than by being in a room of only surveyors for 12 hours discussing the details to any question you want to ask other experts that are writing and interpreting  the rules.

The process takes new and real findings of actual surveying events for everyone to get something from the experience.

I would believe that most seminars would be cross border acceptable in PLS states.

The cost for getting accepted per state is minimal and should be readily be given by the requiring BOR of each state.

It is going to take help from all surveyors to make it work and to complete the training of our profession to everyone.

Not everyone is going to meetings, conventions and reading this awesome site material.

Gene Kooper
(@gene-kooper)
500+ posts

For anyone interested in attending and testifying for or against the PLSC's mandatory continuing education bill, it will have its first hearing with the House Business Affairs and Labor Committee on January 23, 2019.  The hearing will be at 1:30 p.m. in the Legislative Services Building (LSB), Room A.  The LSB is across the street from the Capitol building at 200 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO.  For those familiar it is the old Colorado State Museum.

Be early for security screening and to sign up to testify.  The MCE bill is the first item on the agenda.  That may change so check the committee's web page at:

https://leg.colorado.gov/committees/business-affairs-and-labor/2019-regular-session

That also includes the names of each committee members, contact info and the committee's staff contact that can provide additional info.  The hearing will likely be broadcast live (audio only) in case you cannot make it.

Page 2 / 4