Community Forums

Share:

LSIT Exam Prep  

Page 1 / 2

Gromatici
(@gromatici)
5+ posts

I'm looking for some places to find study materials and practice LSIT exam information.  I have two employees wanting to take this exam, and it's been so long I'm not sure what's out there for them to get an idea on what to study for.  Are there some online courses, and some other resources.  

Topic Tags
7 Replies
RADAR
(@dougie)
2,500+ posts

What State are you in?

Many state societies have programs in place to assist anyone wanting to sit for their states exam.

NSPS and WFPS are also good sources of information.

1 Reply
Gromatici
(@gromatici)

5+ posts

@dougie

CA. I ame aware of the local stuff, but wanted to have them get some self study items, or other online resources that they can fill their free time with!  😉  Books, online cources, and things they should focus on.

Rover83
(@rover83)
50+ posts

The PPI2PASS / Van Sickle books "Surveying Solved Problems" and "Surveyor Reference Manual" made up the bulk of my practice material. NCEES still offers a practice test book. I used that as well, although it's only 50 problems. I found it to be a decent approximation of what is on the exam.

For straight textbooks on surveying, it's hard to beat Wolf and Ghilani's Elementary Surveying, or Kavanaugh's Surveying: Principles and Applications.

The above were pretty much all I used to prepare. An hour or two per night just working problems, for 2-3 months.

I cannot learn through canned videos, but the Caltrans FS instructional videos are still on Youtube, for those that find videos to be useful.

Timay91
(@timay91)
5+ posts

Like Rover83 mentioned NCEES has a 50 question practice exam. I think it's really worth going through. The practice exam will show your soon to be SIT's the areas they need to brush up on before the exam. From there you can help devise a study plan with them. I worked for a firm that used to do "brown bag" lunches once or twice a month to help people study. They would go over practice problems from some of the resources listed above with a licensed surveyor to help the examinees further understand the problem and it's solution. I think it helped the licensed guys too

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts

Personally I don't think 2-3 months of daily study is enough. I'd recommend a couple of years, especially if there is no academic background. Elementary Surveying, already recommended, is a basic need. That's got over 30 chapters, each one worth a week or 2 of study at least. 

Surveying Solved Problems, also previously recommended, is good. There is also Fundamentals of Surveying Practice Exam

For LSIT level I recommend Brown's Boundary Control & Legal Principles - but not the latest edition. Go to Alibris.com where a 2nd edition (1969) can be had  for under $5, plus shipping. Well suited to LSIT level study. Once your man gets past the Fundamentals test he can dive into the later editions. Same for older editions of Evidence & Procedures.

I wouldn't bother with Skelton or Clark at LSIT level. Maybe after. 

The Caltrans videos are tough to wade through, but can't be beat as resources for the price. On Youtube you can play them back at 2x speed, which is a blessing.

1 Reply
Rover83
(@rover83)

50+ posts

True, 2-3 months won't necessarily work for everyone. It all depends on how the examinee learns - and if they understand how they learn.

I should have mentioned that I took the FS with six years experience, including a good amount of boundary work that was enough to answer most of the basic boundary questions found on the FS. Brown is definitely a good resource, and I too would avoid Clark/Skelton/Wattles until the PS.

I had zero formal training or education prior to the FS, just a B.A. in history. I got the geomatics B.S. a few years later. There were some students in my program who came out of school totally unable to pass the FS, and others who barely studied and breezed through it in the middle of their fourth year.

Page 1 / 2
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: