Community Forums

How long before a FIRM becomes effective would you expect a local surveyor to know about the upcoming change? Poll is created on February 4, 2019 5:56 pm

Flood Maps  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

spledeus
(@spledeus)
2,500+ posts Member
February 7, 2019 8:02 pm  

For our County, the Preliminary Maps were issued in March, 2013 and the Effective Maps were issued July, 2014.

J. Thaddeus Eldredge, PLS, CFM
East-SouthEast, LLC

ReplyQuote
Dan B. Robison
(@ddsm)
1,000+ posts Member
February 8, 2019 9:12 am  

https://www.fema.gov/risk-map-flood-risk-project-lifecycle

"Sudden fits of inadvertence will surprise vigilance, slight avocations will seduce attention, and casual eclipses of the mind will darken learning." – Dr. Samuel Johnson

ReplyQuote
spledeus
(@spledeus)
2,500+ posts Member
February 9, 2019 8:59 am  

So you are telling me that you completed Elevation Certificates or Topographical Surveys just before the Effective Date of the New Maps without telling your clients that the Maps were about to change?  I completed dozens of dual ECs: one stamped with the effective map and one unstamped with the soon to be effective map.

In the subject case, the caller stated that they were continuous clients of the firm in question since 2010 as their dream home was being planned.  It seemed a bit long term for the planning of a home but I was not about to dig into the story.  I let her know when I learned about the maps and what I did about it to help folks through the change.

J. Thaddeus Eldredge, PLS, CFM
East-SouthEast, LLC

ReplyQuote
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member
February 9, 2019 9:21 am  

They aren't flood maps, they don't show what's going to flood. I've seen them show the high ground in the flood zone and the low ground out. The edge of the flood zone is some guy's magic marker art. They are only for figuring out flood insurance rates.

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? -1 Corinthians 15:55

ReplyQuote
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
February 9, 2019 9:49 am  

Some clients are so insistent upon "today" that "tomorrow" will be better for you as the new form will be ready and is what you need does not matter.

Fools and their money...................

It always brings a smile to my face when they call back and tell me that they should have taken my advice and are always happy to pay whatever for the update.

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Member
February 9, 2019 11:27 am  

Some fun local areas, this is a small sample, every drainage seems to have multiple examples and it's when a residence happens to be involved that it gets interesting:

Tongue
five
owl

ReplyQuote

Javad GNSS

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member
February 9, 2019 12:11 pm  
Posted by: MightyMoe

Some fun local areas, this is a small sample, every drainage seems to have multiple examples and it's when a residence happens to be involved that it gets interesting:

Tongue
five
owl

That's what I'm sayin'. You can build your house in the middle of the river and get cheaper flood insurance than in the middle of the high ground next to it LOL

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? -1 Corinthians 15:55

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev
Precision Geosystems, Where Precision Meets Value.

Working

Please Login or Register