Community Forums

Share:

How long before a FIRM becomes effective would you expect a local surveyor to know about the upcoming change? Poll is created on February 4, 2019 5:56 pm

Flood Maps  

Page 1 / 3

spledeus
(@spledeus)
2,500+ posts

How long before a flood map becomes effective would you expect a local surveyor to know about the impending change?

Topic Tags
21 Replies
1 Reply
hpalmer
(@hpalmer)

50+ posts

for EC certifications, you certify elevations to a certain flood map and date.  There could be a new map and you not be aware of same.  Generally, these maps are adopted by local communities and some with public hearings.

On the flip side, it is best to obtain the latest flood map when referring to same.  If you are platting a flood elevation, you should be platting same with the 'approved' flood data as of the date of your plat.  Refer to the date and genesis of the flood data.

back-chain
(@back-chain)
250+ posts

Probably depends on how 'wet' is their territory. 

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

Depends on how frequently they work with FIRMS in a specific region.  I knew a few years ahead of time on the planned change for one.  It is a terribly prolonged process.

1 Reply
spledeus
(@spledeus)

2,500+ posts

I had a call yesterday from a disheartened property owner who asked when did I become aware of the local FIRM change in 2014.  I looked through my server and found where I had downloaded the Preliminary Study and Preliminary Shape file about 13 months before the effective date which was about 3 months after the release of the preliminary data.  The property owner's permitting team was apparently unaware of the map change until after the Effective Date and her previously buildable property became unbuildable as a result.

It made me wonder where we all fall in such matters.

Peter Lothian
(@peter-lothian)
250+ posts

I don't believe that it's our job to know everything about everything that might possibly impact someone's development plans. You can provide a higher level of service if you do, but do you get paid for all that extra effort?

foggyidea
(@foggyidea)
2,500+ posts

I think that everybody got that call Thadd.  

Page 1 / 3