Community Forums

Share:

Hiring new employees for a small firm Poll is created on July 17, 2018 7:46 am

CST Experiences?  

Page 1 / 4

RasmussenLS
(@rasmussenls)
5+ posts

Hello all - good morning from humid upstate NY. We are a small firm looking to add to our staff. Curious if anyone has had experience in hiring completely Green employees and utilizing the CST program that NSPS offers. 

16 Replies
Nburg
(@nburg)
20+ posts

Good morning,

I have no experience with having an employee go through the CST program. While in college it was required of the students to take the CST exam, either level 1 or 2, whichever you felt more comfortable with. I took level 2 field, I believe, but never took it farther than that for a number of reasons.

I do however believe that it is a good way for young green employees to take the path of going through the CST program. We have one employee that we hired off of the street and he did not know a thing about surveying, getting him trained in the field wasn't horrible but the office side is still a work in progress. I may try to push him towards looking at the CST program in the future, which I had not thought of.

I also believe that the best route, may be very hard at times, is trying to get a student from Paul Smith's or Alfred. They have a very good foundation to build on and they usually do not have bad habits that can be hard to get rid of with people that have experience.

I know at the upcoming NYSAPLS conference there will be a seminar on the CST program, which could be worthwhile for young technicians.

1 Reply
RasmussenLS
(@rasmussenls)

5+ posts
Posted by: JPH

CST is fine as a measuring stick, probably for those who aren't on a path to get licensed.  I'd like to see that someone took all three tests, not just #2 or #3.

That said, it's not a program, it's a set of tests.  There aren't specific CST classes, just self-study and/or classes you take on your own.

Thank you all for your replies! Good mix - employees and principles experiences. I did not realize until now that CST wasn't a program, but a set of tests. Thanks for straightening me out. I had taken some home study courses through the Massachusetts School of Survey back in the late 90s, which where extremely valuable. Curious if there is anything still active like this. Thanks again, guys.

Lee D
(@lee-d)
1,000+ posts

I'd rather start from scratch, they don't have bad habits or crappy work ethic that I have to break. The hard part is finding someone willing to learn who will stick around.

James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts

When you start from scratch with the right person it's the best of the two options. 

However someone with experience at least knows what the job entails and has made somewhat of a commitment to it as a career. You may go through a number of green candidates until you find one that "takes" to the job.

Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no

J. R. R. Tolkien

Squirltech
(@squirl)
250+ posts

Personally, I am a CST and my experience has gotten me a LOT further than my CST ever has.

Page 1 / 4