Community Forums

Share:

Is this possible?  

Page 1 / 3

linebender
(@linebender)
500+ posts

I am quoting a bridge plan specification. My question: Is it possible to meet, how would you check it and with what equipment? THis is out of my scope of expertise. I'm looking for bridge staking experts. It's a little hard to read.  The tolerance numbers are  0.002" per foot. They are all inch symbols in the spec , not foot symbols. 

bridge spec

16 Replies
JaRo
 JaRo
(@jaro)
1,000+ posts

I have never used a laser tracker but it is my understanding that it is possible. Mike Falk that posted here or on POB did that type of work. It is not something that any average surveyor would be equipped to do. The ones that do this type of work don't bother with boundary surveys.

James

That's cheating,  you edited while I was looking for that video. I don't know about the 0.002" but they are extremely accurate compared to what we do.

thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
2,500+ posts

A good system can get much tighter that in the right environment.It is also important to note that it's no longer a 'scientific' endeavor.

Tim V. PLS
(@tim-v-pls)
20+ posts

I'd definitely ask if the spec. is correct or a typo...

Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts

0.002 foot/foot is 0.2 feet in 100 feet. So, yes, that's do-able with digital levels and such. This is evidently a railroad bridge. And railroads, especially the high speed kind, have that kind of tolerance. It does take some special effort to achieve it. 

Page 1 / 3