Community Forums

Share:

Bluetop Intervals  

Page 1 / 2

joshselvey
(@joshselvey)
FNG

Hello survey world. I have a question about the interval to use when staking bluetops for roadway construction. I work in the public sector and would like to know what the "norm" is for AB and subgrade intervals. I've always thought that 50' for subgrade and 25' for AB is the normal intervals but my supervisor would like to get a little feedback on this from the community. So any help will be greatly appreciated.

11 Replies
2 Replies
Erik Myers
(@erik-myers)

FNG

Hey Josh,

Welcome aboard. 50 and 25 foot intervals seems to be the norm, here in Phoenix. Unless there is a vertical curve, something that has minimal fall or if there is the dreaded Bidwell. I tend to give extra in these cases.

Cya around.

joshselvey
(@joshselvey)

FNG

Thanks Erik. I had always done it that way before coming into the public sector. Along with all vertical changes. Hope you're doing well.

FrozenNorth
(@frozennorth)
250+ posts
eddycreek
(@eddycreek)
500+ posts

We always used 50' on highway work, unless there was something non-typical going on.  Now its every .01' with machine control.  If the operator has to go more than 10' without something on the screen he starts hollerin' about needing grade.

Zapper
(@zapper)
500+ posts

Fwiw, for bluetops we used to go every 50' on tangents, 25' on curves, and did all PCs, PTs, APs, VPCs and VPTs. This was about 17 years ago.

joshselvey
(@joshselvey)
FNG

Thanks for the input. I will pass it along to my supervisor.

Page 1 / 2