Clear all

Cane Poles / Bamboo  

Page 2 / 4

FL/GA
(@flga)
2,500+ posts
Posted by: James Fleming
Posted by: FL/GA PLS.

Can't answer your question but I'm curious as to why you use cane poles for marsh surveys.  ? 

Fishing

Y'all Yankees don't know nuthin. There ain't no fish in a marsh, couple of Bullfrogs maybe but no fish, at least none worth ete'n.  ? 

Ps: I gots a bunch of Grits trees for sale, let me know if you would like to purchase some.

cordgrass
(@cordgrass)
100+ posts

Its usually temporary marking for work out in the marsh.  Marking centerline pipeline and ROW limits, oyster leases, access routes,  well drilling.  If you need to mark something in the marsh cane poles are used.  

FL/GA
(@flga)
2,500+ posts

@cordgrass

Thanks, I never considered the applications. Ya learn something everyday!  ? 

Javad Triumph-LS with 4 Super-Engine RTK

bherpin
(@bherpin)
5+ posts
Posted by: cordgrass

Its usually temporary marking for work out in the marsh.  Marking centerline pipeline and ROW limits, oyster leases, access routes,  well drilling.  If you need to mark something in the marsh cane poles are used. 

Correct. It just basically replaces the wood stake in areas where a 4' or even 8' wood stake would not be long enough. The poles are generally 15'-17' in length and are sunken around 3' -5' deep so they can be seen from long distances.

rfc
 rfc
(@rfc)
1,000+ posts

Y'all probably don't have many ski areas down your way, but one idea might be to contact a few ski area supply places, like this for example:

http://www.inter-mtn.com/mainpage.php?sectionID=3&categoryID=31&subcategoryID=110

Bamboo, aka "Boo", is used to mark trails and obstacles; often comes wrapped in vinyl tape that might actually be great for a marsh, if visibility of plain boo is not great. Usually comes something like 8 feet long in bundles you could probably marry two together to get a 16 footer; wouldn't know if it's cheaper than what you buy, but given the premiums things seem to carry because they're used by surveyors, I wouldn't be surprised if it's competitive. Good luck.

Just a thought.

Page 2 / 4
Scroll to Top