Community Forums

Share:

Who wants a job Surveying for up to 135K per year?????.......  

Page 2 / 4

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

I wouldn't go because I would then be that dammed surveyor from Timbuktu who doesn't know squat about the local uniqueness of boundary surveying. 😎 😎 

Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts

Nope nope nope.

$135k is crap for that part of the world. 

BStrand
(@bstrand)
250+ posts

If it was tax free and they paid my housing I'd seriously consider going for a year or two.  No family to haul around would make it pretty simple to manage.

3 Replies
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

250+ posts

@bstrand

I can forward you the information if you really want to go. I went unsupported to the most Liberal and  laid back GCC for Americans, Kuwait.  Its a shockingly different place amidst the Five guys, McDonalds, etc..... there is an amazing cultural gap to learn about each other, as longas you're with the right people.  Otherwise you can become a news story in the wrong people.  HMU. 

BStrand
(@bstrand)

250+ posts

@jitterboogie

Sure, I wouldn't mind taking a look at the language of the offer.

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

250+ posts

@bstrand

PM sent.

Use a filter type email to respond to them to avoid being inundated with junk recruiter emails etc.  Good luck, let us know what happens.

JKinAK
(@jkinak)
250+ posts

Those of you with low-balling colleagues need to share this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with them!

Sell it.

They'll come back rich!

Bruce Small
(@bruce-small)
1,000+ posts

Did I ever tell you about the time I almost moved my family to Iran. I was offered a lucrative survey job and it would have been a great opportunity for the family to learn a new culture and way of life. I turned it down because the formal contract letter I received had glaring spelling and grammatical errors (it was an American company) and that told me they weren't quite the quality firm I wanted to work for. The Iranian revolution broke out just about the time we would have arrived. That would have been a disaster. I'm glad I paid attention to my intuition.

2 Replies
Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)

1,000+ posts

@bruce-small

I mentioned in another post, twenty years ago I worked for a hydropower engineering consultant in England. One of their projects was in Iran and at one of the Friday afternoon show-and-tell sessions one of the company engineers described the project, including the main difficulty with dealing with the Iranian counterparts - that being, and they were formally told as such, that the folk over there couldn't give two hoots on a candy whistle how things were spelled, as long as the verbal reading sounded correct. 

jt1950
(@jt50)

100+ posts

@bruce-small

Then I would suggest that you avoid Japan if your main consideration is grammar. Not every country would be focusing on grammar if they were doing the hiring. 

Page 2 / 4
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: