Community Forums

Share:

TBPLS no more  

Page 1 / 9

ANOTHER_TEXAS_SURVEYOR
(@another_texas_surveyor)
100+ posts

The Sunset Commission has voted to abolish the Texas Board of Professional Surveying and has planned to be absorbed by the Texas Board of Professional Engineers.  

67 Replies
flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts

yep- this topic caused a rather heated exchange at a seminar i attended last month.

put me in the crowd (for now) who still expects the sky to be blue for as long as i live, and who can't wait to get paid to clean up all the anticipated messes that may result.  i reserve the right to change my mind at any point in the future.

Shawn Billings
Vendor
(@shawn-billings)
2,500+ posts

I've struggled to understand why I should care, honestly. I don't have a great deal of confidence in the TBPLS to police the profession.

I'm not sure what messes you expect will need to be cleaned up that don't already exist in the current situation. The Board has (perhaps of necessity) disciplined surveyors for easy to prove, yet generally inert, infractions (such as leaving something off a plat), and neglected to discipline actual cardinal sins of surveying (like not setting corners). We probably all know of two or three surveyors that we cannot believe still have a license. The board is simply not a factor in my daily life until I have to do continuing education and pay my licensing fees for Firm Registration and RPLS.

3 Replies
flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: Shawn Billings

I've struggled to understand why I should care, honestly. I don't have a great deal of confidence in the TBPLS to police the profession.

I'm not sure what messes you expect will need to be cleaned up that don't already exist in the current situation. The Board has (perhaps of necessity) disciplined surveyors for easy to prove, yet generally inert, infractions (such as leaving something off a plat), and neglected to discipline actual cardinal sins of surveying (like not setting corners). We probably all know of two or three surveyors that we cannot believe still have a license. The board is simply not a factor in my daily life until I have to do continuing education and pay my licensing fees for Firm Registration and RPLS.

i pretty much agree with you- the board has long been a toothless organization, in both a literal and figurative sense.  just paying a visit to their current office would tell the average human that it's been rendered little more than an afterthought.  (getting to their cubby in the middle of that building evokes that last verse of "green green grass of home").

the only messes i'm referring to what i expect will result should the new combined board suddenly find it a good idea to start handing out RPLS stamps to heretofore non-qualifiers (and yes- what i'm trying to say is handing out surveying stamps to engineers just because they're engineers), and possible surveys done by people who have even less grasp of the concepts of boundary law than our current crop of compatriots as a whole. 

Shawn Billings
Vendor
(@shawn-billings)

2,500+ posts
Posted by: flyin solo
Posted by: Shawn Billings

i pretty much agree with you- the board has long been a toothless organization, in both a literal and figurative sense.  just paying a visit to their current office would tell the average human that it's been rendered little more than an afterthought.  (getting to their cubby in the middle of that building evokes that last verse of "green green grass of home").

the only messes i'm referring to what i expect will result should the new combined board suddenly find it a good idea to start handing out RPLS stamps to heretofore non-qualifiers (and yes- what i'm trying to say is handing out surveying stamps to engineers just because they're engineers), and possible surveys done by people who have even less grasp of the concepts of boundary law than our current crop of compatriots as a whole. 

If that becomes the case then that will be a fight that will need to be had. I don't really see passing out stamps to engineers. That happened in the late seventies to early eighties because there was no set requirement for RPS at the time and when the requirements for becoming an RPS (Registered Public Surveyor) were being established, the State had to grandfather those who were already operating as surveyors. 

Personally I don't see too many engineers wanting to do what we do. As Norman points out, many States already have combined PE/RPLS boards. It is a far better outcome than being put under the general board of licensure. 

Robert Ellis
(@robert-ellis)

250+ posts

Shawn, I feel the same way  - over the last 40 years I have had minimum interactions with the board and don't see how that will change by being part of  the Engineering Board.  Over the years I have known a few board members and they have all been conscientious and hard working but for one reason or another their hands were tied if they tried to make major changes (improvements)  in regulation enforcement.  I am curious about the future of the LSLS certification since the GLO will not be in charge of the board and registration requirements. I have a feeling that sooner or later an RPLS will be allowed to survey state land and the need for an LSLS will fade away.

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts

The Board in each of the 3 states I'm licensed in governs both Engineers and Land Surveyors. Sometimes it's not perfect, but none of these states is actually on en fuego at this time. 

RADAR
(@dougie)
2,500+ posts

It's always baffled me; that surveyors are lumped in with engineers. Boundary surveying has nothing to do with engineering. It seems to me that engineers want to keep a tight rein on who can and cannot do topo surveys, construction staking and monitoring. 

In Europe, land surveying is governed by RICS, surveyors watching out for surveyors...

Page 1 / 9