Community Forums

Share:

Oh well, guess there’s next year.  

Page 1 / 2

flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts

got the call yesterday, been waiting for the December onslaught. They need an ALTA on an apartment complex, hafta close by EOY, so they need a survey by 12/24. I looked everything over, estimated hours, did the calcs, added a slight bump for rush (which she acknowledged was a rush) sent her a proposal for 16K. Might be a TAD high, but well within reason.

get this back just now: 

“Thank you again for your bid.  After discussion with my team and review of several competitive bids, we have chosen to go with another surveyor who’s bid came in at $8,750.00 and who will be able to have our draft survey available by 12/21/18.“

Original surveyor aint doing it- he’s retired years ago. So somebody is doing some nice charity work this holiday season...

Jeebus, the next surveyor I hear complain about how hard it is to make ends meet... 

brokers make 2-3% easy on every deal with like zero liability at stake. Getting cut in half on half a percent at best...

but- it’s been a great year. I may just take the next three weeks off.  Happy holidays!

13 Replies
1 Reply
spledeus
(@spledeus)

2,500+ posts

I had a bid on an ALTA last year.  The potential client stated he would never pay so much for a survey.  It had shoreline apportionment, some odd Chapter 91 licenses to the the Federal Government, a Ch 91 license application for the property (built on fill seaward of historic MHW), a common boundary with the National Park with an ambiguous revision, full scan of a long sea wall for an engineering inspection, FEMA application for a LOMA and a timetable that was very rapid.

He hired a mainlander whose number must have been substantially lower.

I subtly talked to the realtor about shoreline apportionment and ownership to Mean Low Water or 100 rods.  He was very interested...

Then last winter, the nor'easters devastated the property.  I am glad I did not go through a LOMA as the FIRM must have been little off in that area...

I wonder what that plan looks like now.

One cup o joe
(@one-cup-o-joe)
20+ posts

Draft Survey by 12/21 with a "Hafta Close" by end of year! Good luck with that!

flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts

And just now another- ALTA on a c-store delivered in a week for 2k! (I said 5.)

1 Reply
Squirltech
(@squirl)

250+ posts
Posted by: flyin solo

And just now another- ALTA on a c-store delivered in a week for 2k! (I said 5.)

The change orders will teach the client a "lesson". On to the next one.

JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
500+ posts

I tell you, that pisses me off.  I hope they told you that you'd be bidding on it. 

I've gotten these desperate calls, and you stay late and work up a number, and then while you're thinking about how you're going to rearrange the work schedule, they tell you that someone else underbid you!  Had I known that they were shopping around, I'd have passed.

flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts

uh...  i reckon i figure it's usually a bidding situation on calls like this.  and i assume i'm usually not the cheapest.  and i still get enough of the work to keep me busy.  but when i get told somebody is doing it for roundabout half of my estimate... that's just stupid.  i've bought jobs to get clients before, so maybe it's that.  twice.  but i doubt it, since neither is likely to be a repeat client to anyone.  

maybe just a weird day.  i'll chalk it up to that for now.  really, though, i've been in business 28 weeks yesterday.  have plenty to do for the next 4.  glad to be doing what i do.

Page 1 / 2