Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Non-owner wants survey  

Page 1 / 5

SapperPELS
(@sapperpels)
5+ posts

I have been doing some side work now for about a year and it's been going pretty good.  So far though, all of my clients have been the owners of the land they want surveyed.  Today, I got a call from a guy who is looking to buy a house and he wants it surveyed before he commits to buying it.  I won't lie, I feel a little bit sheepish that I don't know the answer to this, but can he hire me to survey a piece of property he doesn't yet own?

Obviously, I know people get surveys before they buy houses all the time, but I've never actually been involved in that process so I don't know if I need to get the owners permission first or what.

32 Replies
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts

Sure he can, with the owners permission. We only wish that more buyers would do it.

Get a big retainer. You don’t want to be in a position of not getting paid if the results of the survey are negative.

SapperPELS
(@sapperpels)
5+ posts

Thanks.  That is kind of what I figured.  I guess I'll send him a quote and a permission slip.  Anybody got any good examples?

1 Reply
insu674
(@insu674)

5+ posts

Javad GNSS

Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts

I'd lay that getting permission part on the client.  Now, in Oregon, there is a statutory procedure to be followed before entering any non-public land. So that would be different.  But I should think that the buyer getting a survey is all part of the land deal, and the owner is well aware of it already. 

thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
2,500+ posts

No way would I bet my safety on someone else getting permission, not to mention my livelihood (right of entry notice) or freedom (criminal trespass)

1 Reply
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)

2,500+ posts

@thebionicman

I should be clear that I would not just assume that permission had been granted and plunge merrily on.  

Page 1 / 5
Scroll to Top