Community Forums

Share:

Inflating Invoice  

Page 2 / 5

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

Most of my papers are sent directly to the closing agent at the Title Company or other institution.

By law they must payout from the sell of the property or any escrow funds they are in control of to the people that they hold statements that require any payments before they can complete the transaction, if not they are in violation of their position and could lose their license.

When a property does not make it to closing, I still have the original of the survey order that was sent from the person responsible to pay for the survey.

A closer will send out payments when the money has funded, has been deposited in the correct accounts by the bank or other loan agency or from cash escrow.

All the people involved from one end of a property sale to the other is regulated by some BOR and I have contacted them all before concerning a few highhats that thought they could make their own rules.

Their BORs have swift justice and carry a very big stick.

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

when we bought a property we had to pay for the appraisal up front, no waiting for close of escrow. 

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts

Paid at closing has been quicker than most payments for me. I've never had an issue with it, it works better that way. Usually it's for a large parcel, not house surveys. 

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

@ Just a Surveyor

Many people are only selling their current residence because they can not afford it or anything else for that matter and without the funds from the sale of  the property they would lose everything they have.

What you are thinking of is what many people, bankers, attorneys and real estate people want, a no fault system like they live under where when the deal sours and goes away, nobody is out any money.

The labor laws that are on the books were written for instances like this and to give notice to the cheap lying stealing people that think they don't have to pay for your work.

There is a term for what you are referring to and I believe it is "no fault" or something to that area of thinking.

In Texas or any other place for that matter, it is a practice that is hardly ethical by any professional involved in any real estate transaction, survey or whatever.

When a client insists upon picking up the papers themselves before closing, they pay me then or I send it to their closing agent.

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

Payment at closing means no closing, no payment.

Not so.  Although I never write "payment at closing" into my contracts, I love it when the client or title company requests an invoice be delivered into escrow, as it means I get paid sooner.  The contract is in force no matter what, I don't care who writes the check.  If the deal falls out of bed I still have a contract that I can enforce.

Page 2 / 5