Community Forums

Community Forums

Share:
Notifications

How many retired surveyors keep their license active?  

Page 1 / 5

FL/GA
(@flga)
2,500+ posts

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on why or why not to keep your license upon retirement, including various memberships.

TIA!

😎

25 Replies
Loyal
(@loyal)
2,500+ posts

I will be "officially retired" on January 1, 2020. By "officially" I mean that I will have ZERO current licenses. I let my Wyoming expire years ago, my Utah earlier this year, and my Nevada next week.  

Although this will limit my options in the coming years, I don't really care. Plus, I was tired of all of the "continuing education" crap, and the related expenses.

Loyal

1 Reply
Charles L. Dowdell
(@charles-l-dowdell)

500+ posts

@loyal

I put my Wyoming & Idaho licenses on Inactive Status about 5½ years ago. When I started filling out the documentation for Wyoming, I found that they had changed the form and dropped one credit item, so I lacked 5 hours in meeting the required units. There wasn't enough time to get these hours so I put Wyoming's on Inactive. Idaho's renewal came up the next year, so I put it on Inactive. I decided to just keep them that way as the CE farce was getting to the point where the courses were not worth taking or were more or less a variation repeat of some that I had already took in the past. I guess maybe I could have signed up for a Word Perfect course in there at some point, but that wouldn't have been any benefit as I use Word 6, Word 97, Word 2003 & Word 2007. One thing nice about Idaho was, that I didn't have to do separate documentation of my log forms for them, as they apparently got copies of those I submitted to Wyoming.

Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts

If you aren't making money with it, the renewal and CEU costs will be painful, but the possibility you might want to use it again lingers.

Fortunately, Iowa has an Inactive status so the license doesn't expire and make you start over. That renewal costs $40 every 2 years. To reactivate you need the CEU credits and normal fee.

My PE license has been inactive for a long time, and I have to admit it is only for bragging rights I pay the $40.

I hope FL has a similar option.

The other consideration ie insurance. Do you have to keep paying to be covered for past actions?

Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)
1,000+ posts

I let my Tennessee license lapse 10 years ago.  My Georgia LS and PE licenses are still active until 12-31-2020.  The only (well almost) reason I have kept them active is that I worked long and hard to get them and don't want to just give them up.   I may just let mine go after 2020.

Andy

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

Will probably keep it up until they bury me unless I live a heck of a lot longer than anticipated.  Like Andy, I worked long and hard to get them and don't want to just give them up.

Page 1 / 5
Scroll to Top