Community Forums

Share:

Field Note Retention After Scanning  

Page 3 / 4

John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts

I do a cloud backup hourly so I'm not worried about loosing the digital versions.

As for notes, I think I will just trash them.  I'm not sure that the Rite-In-The-Rain paper is actually recyclable and I recycle my shred.  They do not include any personal or confidential information so the can should be fine.

I might even brave the attic, fight off the squire that moved in this winter, and start scanning older years.  It is nice having them for quick access.

1 Reply
Jon Payne
(@jon-payne)

500+ posts
Posted by: John Putnam

I might even brave the attic, fight off the squire that moved in this winter, and start scanning older years.  It is nice having them for quick access.

Love that (hopefully) typo John.  It makes for a very interesting mental picture.

gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts

I use a free app called TinyScanner on my phone, do that immediately in the rig and it saves surprisingly clear PDF's. I have it defaulted to send to Dropbox and the phone is also backing up to the cloud. Looking at one of  those personal cloud drives for the office.

John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts

Scanning is no problem.  I have a nice document scanner in the office and a portable one I can keep the truck.  I've been scanning the field books after I process my data for several years now.

Its nice to know the phone scanners work.  That sounds like a good way to scan my receipts when traveling. 

2 Replies
Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)

1,000+ posts

That's a good idea. Here the receipt ink is vaporised by any exposure to anything environmental, which leaves a bad taste in the mouth when you go to claim for that slap up meal you thought you had on the company's account.

Bill93
(@bill93)

5,000+ posts

The company I worked for had a rule that only original receipts could be used to claim reimbursement, no copies.  I suppose they were afraid of multiple claims for one expense.  That was before phones could scan the original, but a printout of that is still a copy.

Jon Payne
(@jon-payne)
500+ posts

I scan everything to store it digitally within the job directory.  Most of my field notes are now from the collector anyway.  Paper notes are generally sketches to help clarify collected data.  These sketches are usually on a plot of the deeds I'm carrying with me in the field.  I have a few hardbound field books and use about 5-10 pages a year for a sketch or a couple of quick measurements.

1 Reply
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)

5,000+ posts

I have a few hardbound field books and use about 5-10 pages a year for a sketch or a couple of quick measurements.

The most common entry in my field books these days is instrument height.  I record it at every setup, because it's the one measurement that, if accidentally changed in the DC, required a trip back to the gun to fix.

John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts

Same here.  Notes are more of place to find the files for a particular point and describe monuments.

Page 3 / 4