Javad GNSS Trade-In Program

Community Forums

Ethics-Conflict  

Page 1 / 2 Next
Charlie c
(@charlie-c)
5+ posts Registered

Client called today and wants a survey between his property and neighbor.
I have worked for neighbor in the past, but not on this property.
Would you take on the job?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2017 6:07 pm
Tom Healy
(@tom-healy)
50+ posts Registered

Charlie c, post: 437229, member: 6798 wrote: Client called today and wants a survey between his property and neighbor.

Wouldn't you set the line in the same place if you were hired by the neighbor? Then there should be no conflict.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2017 6:10 pm
paden cash
(@paden-cash)
5,000+ posts Registered

A wise man once said, "If you try to please everybody someone is going to get mad." And it's pretty much true. Don't let that get in the way of your work.

As a professional surveyor one should have the ability to remove their personal acquaintances from the facts of a survey.

"...I'm just amazed he even knew Jerusalem or Tel-Aviv existed..."
Paden Cash-disillusioned American voter

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2017 6:14 pm
Loyal
(@loyal)
2,500+ posts Registered

Professional Land Surveyors are NOT advocates for their clients (like a defense attorney IS).

Loyal

"Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves."
Gandalf, The Two Towers

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2017 6:48 pm
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Registered

Don't believe I could count the number of times this has come up over the decades. Get'r'done!!!

As mentioned above, we are not advocates. We are seekers of the truth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2017 8:10 pm
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Registered

You would be perhaps the ideal person to do it...

Surveying is more than a Job----it is a passion to provide a foundation for future generation, that is beyond reproach.

Nate

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2017 8:46 pm
Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)
500+ posts Registered

IMHO, if it was me I'd let the client know of your previous work with the neighbor, then if they are ok with that ask if they are ok with you notifying the neighbor, so that there are no surprises or suspicions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2017 12:49 am
Tommy Young
(@tommy-young)
1,000+ posts Registered

If you think there is a reason you can't ethically do this job, you need to go back and reassess your entire career.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2017 4:03 am
clearcut
(@clearcut)
500+ posts Registered

Charlie c, post: 437229, member: 6798 wrote: Client called today and wants a survey between his property and neighbor.

Disclose your prior client relationship to alleviate any misgivings.
In Ca it is actually a law to do so.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2017 5:14 am
Dan Patterson
(@dan-patterson)
1,000+ posts Registered

what's the issue??

Daniel J Patterson, PLS, PE

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2017 6:09 am
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Registered

Trying to decide when to say anything to the client about connections to the adjoiner can be tough because there is no rule of thumb to follow.

On one recent job the client was someone I have known well for 50 years and for whom I have done prior jobs. One adjoiner is a fellow I have known as far back as I can remember and we were classmates in high school and I have done jobs for two of his sons. The other adjoiner is a fellow I have known as far back as I can remember and were in school together and I have done a prior survey for him in a different section. And, my helper one day on this project is married to the client's niece.

We set up the base station on a hill top on one of the adjoiners. That was great. It gave me an excuse to drive past the house, far off the road, where my father's parents were married as that quarter section was owned by my grandmother's aunt and uncle in 1913.

It is common for me to have jobs where I have known the client and several of the adjoiners for decades. I've had three generations of the same family as clients.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2017 6:19 am
mattharnett
(@mattharnett)
250+ posts Registered

I would survey his boundaries and mark them. I'd even make sure to say hi to the fella next door.

Matt Harnett, PLS
www.harnettsurvey.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2017 6:51 am
thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
1,000+ posts Registered

It would only be a problem if there issues between them. I'm going to ask that question anyway...

CFedS, PLS ID-OR-WA-UT-NV

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2017 6:57 am
paden cash
(@paden-cash)
5,000+ posts Registered

First, I don't see this as any sort of "ethics" issue. If we excluded surveying any boundary that may or may not adjoin someone we either know or have worked for in the past, we would quickly run out of places we could survey. But In my mind this brings up an interesting point.

If I'm reading the OP correctly Charlie c may be "uncomfortable" in surveying for the adjoiner of a previous client. And I will fall short of any sort of admonishment; been there, done that.

If a job makes you uncomfortable or places you in a private/ personal situation you would like to avoid; by all means, turn down the job. And it's perfectly OK to do so. But don't confuse it with ethics.

"...I'm just amazed he even knew Jerusalem or Tel-Aviv existed..."
Paden Cash-disillusioned American voter

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2017 7:15 am
JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
500+ posts Registered

You have to let the potential client know beforehand. Not that you have any issues surveying it and remaining unbiased in your opinion. But the potential client, once informed of the prior relationship, has the opportunity to figure out if he has an issue with it, and can make the decision whether he wants to trust you or go with someone else ho has no former relationship.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2017 7:21 am
Page 1 / 2 Next

Working

Please Login or Register

Truly affordable and centimeter accurate RTK GNSS Receiver