Community Forums

Share:

Don't Everyone Rush To Apply For That Cushy Government Job At Once....  

Page 1 / 2

James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts

Employment advertisement in one of the twenty wealthiest counties in the US

County Surveyor 
$53,540 - $56,217 annual salary range

FWIW #1 - my office at my last job was in the same county and I was paying a guy with no experience straight out of college $52,000

FWIW #2 - Another advertisement 20 miles away: (BLANK) is actively seeking qualified licensed candidates to provide management and oversight to our Land Surveying Division in our (BLANK), Maryland office.  Salary: $104,000.00 to $135,200.00 /year.

I mean I understand a county government can't match private industry salaries, and your taking less pay for less stress, but 45 cents on the dollar seems like quite a discount. Especially when the median home price is 6.5 times your annual salary. 

12 Replies
John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
2,500+ posts

You get what you pay for...

I  moved away from the DC area in 1988 because of the fast increasing home prices

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts

Is it a full-time position? What are the County Surveyor's responsibilties in your area?  In Oregon some CS's have a large staff with budgets to match. Others have a filing cabinet to maintain. 

1 Reply
James Fleming
(@james-fleming)

5,000+ posts

County surveyors here (for the counties that have one) manage the surveying department for the engineering or public works department. Basically a private industry survey manager position, but replace budgets and business development with dealing with the planners, county commissioners, and reviewing plats

paden cash
(@paden-cash)
5,000+ posts

We abolished the office of "County Surveyor" in Oklahoma in 1978 (I think).   It was an elected position and (in several counties) the pay was $1 a year.  Office space in the County Courthouse was provided however.  They gleaned their pay from individuals by performing surveys.  Court cases provided a good income also when the county surveyor was directed by a judge to settle a boundary dispute; no doubt paid for by the loser.

One old county surveyor I kept up with until he passed had actually resigned his position because the county commissioners couldn't understand why he wasn't at their beckoned call all the time...for free.

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

Most of the counties in Texas has abolished the office.

It was an elected post. Candidates had to spend money to campaign to get the word out they were on the ballot, the local county did not furnish the elected official an office nor any pay.

Some Counties have a need for them and do give them office and pay and keep them busy.

County surveyors are not required to have a state license and can survey land legally for the county, which most counties have an ample amount of properties in and out of municipalities.

They were the go between RPLS and the State Land Commissioner in that any Excess or Vacancy found was reported to the County Surveyor who would file the information and forward to the Capitol.

They also had the same legal right to decide and establish lost Headright boundaries as LSLS claim is their purpose and not any RPLS can, lol, hehehehe and ROTFL at that claim.

They also are allowed to sit in with the County Judge and Commissioners and County Clerk at their meetings and are privy to County business and inside information about their dealings and agendas. 

Page 1 / 2