Javad GNSS Trade-In Program

Community Forums

Can't wait to retire  

Page 1 / 5 Next
Lookinatchya
(@lookinatchya)
50+ posts Registered

I recently completed my 60th trip around the sun and it seems like there may be light at the end of the tunnel. I started my survey career in 1982. Went out on my own in 1996. I have been running a small 3-4 man shop for the last 21 years. No vacations to speak of. Work always on my mine,

I know a fellow surveyor who recently turned 70 and is still plugging along. I asked him why he doesn't retire. His comment was, " I don't hunt, fish, golf, garden or anything like that. I'm a problem solver and I enjoy surveying". Well I like to hunt and fish and have a kennel full of hunting dogs begging for more time in the field.

I applaud the guys who stick with it in their later years are are a real asset to the profession. I have a young SIT working for me and hope to hand him the reins in 5 or so years. I am mentoring him and giving him as much knowledge as I can. He has the opportunity of a life time. I stared out with nothing. Built a good reputation in my area and will have 25 years of records to pass along.

I still enjoy surveying but I thing I am starting to get grumpy old man syndrome. Don't handle all the remarks from planners, nosy neighbors, clients questioning my work etc., to well any more.

I don't have much of a bucket list but would like to do and see a few things before the years catch up with me.

So here's to all you guys just getting started and all who are looking out the back door like me!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 11:27 am
Loyal
(@loyal)
2,500+ posts Registered

I had hoped to [semi] retire this year, but I have been busier than any year that I can remember.

At 67 with 49 years surveying (32 solo), I am getting REALLY tired of 7 day weeks.

I doubt that I will ever REALLY retire (100%), until I'm dead, but I do hope to get into a part-time (couple of days a week) mode next year.

We'll see.
Loyal

"Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves."
Gandalf, The Two Towers

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 11:33 am
James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
2,500+ posts Registered

Guy I work for is 67. When I came on-board last summer I asked what his long term plans were. He replied: Well my dad farmed until he was 85.....

“Nothing grows old-fashioned so fast as modernity.”
― Robertson Davies

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 11:36 am
paden cash
(@paden-cash)
5,000+ posts Registered

What I've learned (at least about myself) is something that doesn't initially feel comfortable right-off-the-bat probably won't feel much better in 6 months.

Choosing and picking what you do and when you do it is a great personal freedom. Like the post above mentioned, I enjoy field work and solving problems. So I stick with surveying about 2.5 days a week. The hard part has been listening to myself and figuring out what it is I really want to do the rest of the time. 😉

"...I'm just amazed he even knew Jerusalem or Tel-Aviv existed..."
Paden Cash-disillusioned American voter

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 11:53 am
Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)
1,000+ posts Registered

I'm retired (sorta). I was helped along when the economy went south in '09 when I was laid off. I changed professions from surveyor/engineer to a safety consultant. I worked less, made more money and went to bed not worrying about liability. I did that for 7 years but got tired of being on the road all the time. We travel more, relax more and just plain enjoy life. Of course my wife still works (that takes care of our health insurance) and now I work around her schedule. I've been considering a part time job if I can find one that suits me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 11:59 am
ACD Surveyor
(@acd-surveyor)
50+ posts Registered

I'm also 67 and have been working for local governments for over 40 years. I've been thinking of retiring and doing a little part time private surveying. A lot of the local surveyors have passed so there is a shortage of local surveyors. I'll interested in anyone else that has done part time surveying and how it has worked out for you. How does maintaining liability insurance work for a part time surveyor with no previous liability insurance?:worried:

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 12:00 pm
imaudigger
(@imaudigger)
2,500+ posts Registered

What was the name of that old surveyor in some little western town...he was in his 90's. Someone here had met him once. I watched a mini-documentary on his career. Very fascinating fellow. Wonder if he is still kicking around.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 12:03 pm
Lookinatchya
(@lookinatchya)
50+ posts Registered

paden cash, post: 455490, member: 20 wrote: What I've learned (at least about myself) is something that doesn't initially feel comfortable right-off-the-bat probably won't feel much better in 6 months.

Choosing and picking what you do and when you do it is a great personal freedom. Like the post above mentioned, I enjoy field work and solving problems. So I stick with surveying about 2.5 days a week. The hard part has been listening to myself and figuring out what it is I really want to do the rest of the time. 😉

Paden, I like the sound of that. I have a unique situation in that I have out lasted most of the competition in my area. You would think that was a good thing and it is in a way, but I am in high demand and overloaded with work. I guess I'm suffering burn out. I would like to go part time, but may just have to walk away when the time comes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 12:07 pm
Bill93
(@bill93)
2,500+ posts Registered

Lookinatchya, post: 455485, member: 7988 wrote: I know a fellow surveyor who recently turned 70 and is still plugging along. I asked him why he doesn't retire. His comment was, " I don't hunt, fish, golf, garden or anything like that.

Don't retire unless you have some idea what you'd do with your time. But for most people it's pretty easy to fill up that time.

I retired after 34 years at the big corporation, at age 56. Eleven years and I've never run out of things to do. The to-do list just keeps getting longer. Playing sound tech at the arts center, church repairs and processing recordings, going to a writing group, occasionally playing music, etc. almost keep me too busy to argue with you guys, submit bench mark recoveries, or do GPS on Benchmarks. Since I'm a fair-weather surveyor-wanna-be, it's fun and not work.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 12:11 pm
Lookinatchya
(@lookinatchya)
50+ posts Registered

Loyal, post: 455487, member: 228 wrote: I had hoped to [semi] retire this year, but I have been busier than any year that I can remember.

At 67 with 49 years surveying (32 solo), I am getting REALLY tired of 7 day weeks.

I doubt that I will ever REALLY retire (100%), until I'm dead, but I do hope to get into a part-time (couple of days a week) mode next year.

We'll see.
Loyal

Wow I give you credit for working solo. I tried it for awhile but I work in a hilly, forested area. GPS and robotics are not always applicable. I like to have a couple of young mules to carry the equipment, cut brush and hammer pins

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 12:12 pm
Loyal
(@loyal)
2,500+ posts Registered

imaudigger, post: 455496, member: 7286 wrote: What was the name of that old surveyor in some little western town...he was in his 90's. Someone here had met him once. I watched a mini-documentary on his career. Very fascinating fellow. Wonder if he is still kicking around.

You might be thinking of Lloyd Baker:

http://www.localnews8.com/news/kifi-top-story/star-valley-man-still-working-full-time-to-turn-104_20160825062424194/58470408

I believe that he is still kick'n

Loyal

"Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves."
Gandalf, The Two Towers

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 12:14 pm
FrozenNorth
(@frozennorth)
250+ posts Registered

Lookinatchya, post: 455497, member: 7988 wrote: Paden, I like the sound of that. I have a unique situation in that I have out lasted most of the competition in my area. You would think that was a good thing and it is in a way, but I am in high demand and overloaded with work. I guess I'm suffering burn out. I would like to go part time, but may just have to walk away when the time comes.

This isn't a criticism--I really want to understand this dynamic in planning for my own future:
Why can't LSIT guy take on some of your hours? Still too green? Does the high demand/overload come with more money or just more time? I know many of us tend to busy-ness without increasing profitability. It seems that it would be a bit tragic that you would have to walk away (from your own firm!) instead of choosing to work 30 hours a week or something.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 12:15 pm
Loyal
(@loyal)
2,500+ posts Registered

Lookinatchya, post: 455500, member: 7988 wrote: Wow I give you credit for working solo. I tried it for awhile but I work in a hilly, forested area. GPS and robotics are not always applicable. I like to have a couple of young mules to carry the equipment, cut brush and hammer pins

I don't really do much (if any) field work anymore. Pretty much consulting to Survey Firms with YOUNG guys (50ish).

Loyal

"Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves."
Gandalf, The Two Towers

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 12:15 pm
paden cash
(@paden-cash)
5,000+ posts Registered

Lookinatchya, post: 455497, member: 7988 wrote: Paden, I like the sound of that. I have a unique situation in that I have out lasted most of the competition in my area. You would think that was a good thing and it is in a way, but I am in high demand and overloaded with work. I guess I'm suffering burn out. I would like to go part time, but may just have to walk away when the time comes.

You know, I let all my clients and associates know I was going to start cutting back and it didn't do a bit of good. I spent 3 months working harder than I had before I "slowed down".

Saying "no" and turning down work is not a natural thing to someone that has survived as long as I have in the industry. It's very HARD to do. After almost a year I'm getting better at it though.

Maybe we need to start something like "surveyor's anonymous"....

"Hi, my name is Paden, and I'm a surveying addict."

"Hi, Paden."

"I couldn't turn any work down after I retired. I use to stress if I saw I had missed calls from old clients. It kept me up at night. But with the help of you all I promise I will try to turn work down. I will take it one job at a time."

(My apologies to all my friends & family members that attend other versions of 'meetings' to help them with their unique demons. 😉 )

"...I'm just amazed he even knew Jerusalem or Tel-Aviv existed..."
Paden Cash-disillusioned American voter

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 12:24 pm
Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
2,500+ posts Registered

Great thread. Carry on.

Beer Leg dot com R O C K S ! !
If you find this forum valuable, then click here https://rplstoday.com/donate/

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2017 12:24 pm
Page 1 / 5 Next
  
Working

Please Login or Register

Geo-Tronics.com SALES, SERVICE & SUPPORT