Community Forums

Share:

Back in the day.....  

Page 1 / 2

James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts

Corporate staff recruiters stood out from the freelance headhunter types.  Not so much anymore

Guy contacts me through LinkedIn this week:

“...in reference to a Senior Geomatics Project Manager opportunity; a seller/doer role with major project oversight.

We are a full-service engineering group and....of the most prominent survey groups in the Southeast.”

So I had to respond that the start date on the current position on my profile was Jan 2019, so I probably wasn’t looking at this moment.  

12 Replies
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

I gave coprorate the opportunity to hire me in 1973 and they were not paying a wage that was enough for living in their own city.

One contacted me that had my interest and then Houston flooded and they were wiped out and are still recovering.

Every time I signed on to a big company it was to basically bring them up to speed and then they soured the deal to want me out for someone at less pay.

The last gig they called be up to say they tan out of work and tried to lock me out of the building so I could not get my own computer system and other equipment.

There are some great people to sign with, it may not be where you are or where you want to be, so get the pay you are worth and for the long term when you can.

good luck

Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)
1,000+ posts

Several years ago I had a headhunter call and ask if would interested in the position of head of the survey department of a large engineering company.  He went on to describe the duties, the perks, etc.  I asked what the name of the company was, but he said he was not at liberty to say.  He could give me the phone number though.  When he gave me the first three numbers I stopped him.  At that time the prefix (not the area code) gave you the location of the phone (pre cellular).  I told him that they couldn't afford what it would take to get me to drive into downtown Atlanta every day.

Andy

James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts

Apparently seller/doer is the buzzword du jour.  Sounds nicer than "don't expect to sit back and collect a big salary while others bring in clients" 

flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts

i've been flat out offered at least half a dozen jobs in the last year. i get messages on linkedin almost daily from recruiters.  my response, after seeing the light of striking out on my own, is this: they/you'd be stupid to pay me what it would take to work for you or anybody else again.

bottom line is i can make double what anyone will pay me by being my own boss.  and i get to be a surveyor, as opposed to a babysitter.

but it's nutty times.  city electric provider called me yesterday asking me if i'd consider running their survey department, and that they're having a hard time finding anyone.  i've seen that posting- it's for about the same money an SIT is pulling down around here these days.

Page 1 / 2