Community Forums

Orientate instrument using two unknown but accessible traverse points.  

Page 1 / 3 Next
  RSS

Enri_F
(@enri-f)
5+ posts Member
December 2, 2018 11:32 am  

Hi guys, I was wondering if is that possible to orientate my t6 (and my pick ups utils lines) by knowing /shouting two Control Stations location without knowing their coordinates. Could it be done by RefLine? if so, how ? 

Thanks in advance ! 

ReplyQuote
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts Member
December 2, 2018 12:06 pm  

Not sure I understand your question. You seem to have an unknown instrument position and unknown control points. Just what is known in this scenario?

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Mark Mayer

EDUCATION, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding.

EXPERIENCE, n. The wisdom that enables us to recognize as an undesirable old acquaintance the folly that we have already embraced.

ReplyQuote
Norm Larson
(@norm-larson)
500+ posts Member
December 2, 2018 12:44 pm  

If I understand correctly, you want to do a resection later when you know the coordinates.  I am not aware of any software that will do that, but, you can do it by hand after collecting as a topo 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Norm Larson

ReplyQuote
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts Member
December 2, 2018 2:22 pm  

If Norm is correct, you could do that sort of calc in StarNet. 

EDUCATION, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding.

EXPERIENCE, n. The wisdom that enables us to recognize as an undesirable old acquaintance the folly that we have already embraced.

ReplyQuote
Enri_F
(@enri-f)
5+ posts Member
December 2, 2018 2:25 pm  

Well I do have two control stations that belongs to the traverse, and I was wondering if is that possible to get my instrument orientated in a scenario where I just put 100,100,10 coordinates at any point where I stand with the instrument , shoot the traverse stations from my instrument position (like using them as reference line) get the distances from those.

Do I get an orientation like this? Actually I am not sure this can be performed with Ref Line. Honestly, I never used this program on the s6 and I don t have a very good idea on how to get my instrument aware of his relative location.

I can try to put it like this.

Is it possible to survey having two control points available to be shoot(RO) of which you don t know the coordinates , using them as a kind of false resection stations ?

We have a site on which a topo has been done by some one else and we would like to use his stations to pick up utility's marks. Can this be done without knowing the coordinates of the two RO ? 

If so , is it using RefLine or some other Trimble's programs that you can perform this task ?

Just as a field work , then probably later on some one will ask for this coordinates and impute them in the post processing .

This post was modified 2 months ago 4 times by Enri_F

ReplyQuote
Stephen Ward
(@stephen-ward)
1,000+ posts Member
December 2, 2018 2:35 pm  

The easy way to do this is to just set up and shoot the reference points and the utility info you're looking for.  Export the coordinates and then translate and rotate in CAD.

Never let someone owe you more than you can afford to lose.

ReplyQuote

iGage Static GPS - GNSS Receivers

squowse
(@squowse)
500+ posts Member
December 2, 2018 10:30 pm  

You might be thinking of the "orientate to line" method of setup. But that won't be any use unless you know some coords.

As Stephen says, just set up on assumed coords and shoot the stations in the same way as your other topo points. The survey can then be transformed onto the correct co-ords once those stations are known. 

ReplyQuote
Enri_F
(@enri-f)
5+ posts Member
December 3, 2018 12:09 am  

Exactly what I meant to do guys .

I just don t know how can I perform it with my trimble s6. Is it by using ref line or is there any other program available on trimble ?

ReplyQuote
squowse
(@squowse)
500+ posts Member
December 3, 2018 2:07 am  

Do you know how to set up on assumed coords? 

ReplyQuote
Enri_F
(@enri-f)
5+ posts Member
December 3, 2018 6:42 am  

No Squowse actually I don't know, it would be great to have a description on how to do that .

ReplyQuote
Stephen Ward
(@stephen-ward)
1,000+ posts Member
December 3, 2018 6:53 am  

Are you using a data collector of some sort or does your S6 have a faceplate with data collection capability?  Most S6's don't have the ability to much of anything without a data collector and unless we know what kind of equipment you're using specific directions are not possible.

ReplyQuote
Enri_F
(@enri-f)
5+ posts Member
December 3, 2018 7:32 am  

Is a s6 total station with tsc3 Stephen 

ReplyQuote

Precision Geosystems, Where Precision Meets Value.

half bubble
(@half-bubble)
500+ posts Member
December 3, 2018 7:36 am  

Set up on one point. Measure a distance to the other point. Call the first point "5000, 5000". Let us say the distance measured is 330 feet (use Communist Yards if you must). Call the second point "5330, 5000". That line is your "job north" for gathering data. Now set up off to the side somewhere and shoot the distances to each point and turn the angle between and you can trig your way to the setup coordinate with paper and calculator, or use the resection program in the data collector. 

Poor business management has been the only reason that land surveying has not risen to the level of other professions in eyes of the public. -- Dan Beardslee

ReplyQuote
Enri_F
(@enri-f)
5+ posts Member
December 3, 2018 8:03 am  

That is a way ,thanks Half bubble !

ReplyQuote
Stephen Ward
(@stephen-ward)
1,000+ posts Member
December 3, 2018 8:25 am  

Do you have the other guys topo in CAD or only in paper or pdf?  If you have it in CAD you can draw a line between the control points and query the line for the end point coordinates.  Plug those into your tsc3 then resect using the control points or occupy one and backsight the other if possible.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3 Next
Javad GNSS

Working

Please Login or Register