Community Forums

Share:

Orientate instrument using two unknown but accessible traverse points.  

Page 1 / 5

Enri_F
(@enri-f)
5+ posts

Hi guys, I was wondering if is that possible to orientate my t6 (and my pick ups utils lines) by knowing /shouting two Control Stations location without knowing their coordinates. Could it be done by RefLine? if so, how ? 

Thanks in advance ! 

35 Replies
3 Replies
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)

2,500+ posts

Not sure I understand your question. You seem to have an unknown instrument position and unknown control points. Just what is known in this scenario?

Norm Larson
(@norm-larson)

500+ posts

If I understand correctly, you want to do a resection later when you know the coordinates.  I am not aware of any software that will do that, but, you can do it by hand after collecting as a topo 

Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)

2,500+ posts

If Norm is correct, you could do that sort of calc in StarNet. 

Enri_F
(@enri-f)
5+ posts

Well I do have two control stations that belongs to the traverse, and I was wondering if is that possible to get my instrument orientated in a scenario where I just put 100,100,10 coordinates at any point where I stand with the instrument , shoot the traverse stations from my instrument position (like using them as reference line) get the distances from those.

Do I get an orientation like this? Actually I am not sure this can be performed with Ref Line. Honestly, I never used this program on the s6 and I don t have a very good idea on how to get my instrument aware of his relative location.

I can try to put it like this.

Is it possible to survey having two control points available to be shoot(RO) of which you don t know the coordinates , using them as a kind of false resection stations ?

We have a site on which a topo has been done by some one else and we would like to use his stations to pick up utility's marks. Can this be done without knowing the coordinates of the two RO ? 

If so , is it using RefLine or some other Trimble's programs that you can perform this task ?

Just as a field work , then probably later on some one will ask for this coordinates and impute them in the post processing .

Stephen Ward
(@stephen-ward)
1,000+ posts

The easy way to do this is to just set up and shoot the reference points and the utility info you're looking for.  Export the coordinates and then translate and rotate in CAD.

squowse
(@squowse)
500+ posts

You might be thinking of the "orientate to line" method of setup. But that won't be any use unless you know some coords.

As Stephen says, just set up on assumed coords and shoot the stations in the same way as your other topo points. The survey can then be transformed onto the correct co-ords once those stations are known. 

Enri_F
(@enri-f)
5+ posts

Exactly what I meant to do guys .

I just don t know how can I perform it with my trimble s6. Is it by using ref line or is there any other program available on trimble ?

Page 1 / 5